If you search full form of computer in the google, then you get some result in forum and website like that “Common Operating Machine Purposely Used for Technological and Educational Research”. But is not true, it’s only a myth or wrong interpretation.
COMPUTER: Common Operating Machine Purposely Used for Technological and Educational Research
Computer is a complete word in itself. It is not a short form (abbreviation) of any word or phrase. Computer word comes from “compute” means to calculate some mathematical terms. It defines as “computer is an electronic device to perform complex logical-mathematical calculation”.
CPU “Central Processing Unit” is the main part of a computer. All the complex logical-mathematical calculation are done by CPU.
CPU has a two parts ALU and CU.
- ALU: Arithmetical Logical Unit.
- CU: Control Unit.
CPU = ALU (Arithmetical Logical Unit) + CU (Control Unit)
Computer is categorized on the basis of generation.
- First generation computer: Vacuum tube are used, from 1940 to 1956.
- Second generation computer: Transistors are used, from 1956 to 1963.
- Third generation computer: IC (Integrated Circuits) are used, from 1964 to 1971.
- Fourth generation computer: Microprocessors are used, from 1971 to Now.
- Fifth generation computer: Artificial Intelligence CPU, From Now to beyond.
Important Full form of computer related terms
|Short Form||Full Form|
|CPU||Central Processing Unit|
|ALU||Arithmetical Logical Unit|
|RAM||Random Access Memory|
|PROM||Programmable Read Only Memory|
|SSD||Solid State Drive|
|ROM||Read Only Memory|
|I/O||Input and Output|
|BIOS||Basic Input Output System|
|USB||Universal Serial Bus|
|VGA||Video/Visual Graphic Adapter|
|LAN||Local Area Network|
|WAN||Wide Area Network|
|WWW||World Wide Web|
|URL||Uniform Resource Locator|
|ISP||Internet Service Provider|
|DOS||Disk Operating System|
|TCP||Transmission Control Protocol|
|VDU||Visible Display Unit|